Trainer/Facilitator at Education Development Center (EDC) [United States] [Rolling basis]
Location: Washington, United States
Apply by: Rolling basis
Description: The STEM Portfolio has an opening for a part-time Trainer/Facilitator, reporting to the project director of the NYC Algebra for All Equity Course project. The project will run during the summer of 2019, but the position will be maintained for at least two years and will be re-engaged on an as-needed basis. This is a telecommuter position.
The STEM Portfolio at EDC works to improve the quality, effectiveness, and equity of STEM learning and teaching by creating innovative materials for students and professional development for teachers and administrators. We develop curricula, digital games, and apps that engage, excite, and challenge students, aiming to foster and use technology for robust STEM experiences. We also design and provide high-quality professional development courses that combine face-to-face and online learning with building educators’ knowledge, and practices for meeting their students’ diverse learning needs to improve learning outcomes.
A casual position receives statutory benefits of Social Security contributions, Medicare contributions, unemployment insurance, worker’s compensation insurance, and sick leave. A casual position ends when work is complete.
Role and Responsibility: The person in this position is expected to communicate clearly and courteously; to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, field sites, and funders; and to work respectfully with EDC colleagues. The job requires adherence to EDC policies & procedures.
- Assist in refining the materials developed through the DEbT-M project for equitable instruction in secondary mathematics to create a 2-day PD course for grades 6 – 12 teachers.
- Contribute to the perspective of the classroom teacher to the development of the course.
- Provide insight into a large urban district leadership team.
- Co-facilitate the 2-day course developed by the team.
- Travel to New York City required in Summer 2019
Required Eligibility and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics or Mathematics Education Required
- 10+ years of recent experience in a mathematics classroom in a school or district serving a predominantly minority population required
- 5+ years of developing and facilitating professional development required
- 3+ years of experience in a district-level position or as an instructional coach focused in mathematics required
- Demonstrated understanding of research-based best practices for equitable instruction in 6th – 12th-grade mathematics.
About the organization: EDC is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. EDC designs, implements, and evaluates programs to improve education, health, and economic opportunity worldwide. Collaborating with both public and private partners, we strive for a world where all people are empowered to live healthy, productive lives. https://www.edc.org/