National Consultant: Education Officer at UNICEF [Colombia] [August 21, 2019]
Apply by: August 21, 2019
Description: At UNICEF COLOMBIA we work to generate positive changes in the lives of children and adolescents. Our current work plan runs from 2015 to the end of 2019 and aims to ensure that children and adolescents enjoy their rights through equitable access to social services, improve their learning and live protected from all types of violence.
We work throughout Colombia, with special focus on the departments where children have fewer opportunities: Chocó, Cauca, Nariño, Antioquia, Córdoba, Amazonas, Putumayo, La Guajira, Caquetá and Norte de Santander.
In Colombia, UNICEF Assistance to migrant children from Venezuela began in Early April 2018 in the departments of La Guajira, Norte de Santander, and Arauca. Now, as the real dimension of the influx unfolded, UNICEF and partners expanded into key areas of Atlántico, Bolivar and Magdalenaon the Caribbean coast and into Nariño and Putumayo along the Ecuadorean Border.
Role and Responsibilities:
The Education Officer reports to the Education Specialist for close guidance and supervision. The mail purpose is to support the area of Education in UNICEF in the design and implementation of the proposed strategic sector plan for the response to the situation generated by the migratory flow of Venezuelans to Colombia.
- Support to programme development and planning
- Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Technical and operational support to programme implementation
- Networking and partnership building
- Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
Required Eligibility and Experience:
- University degree in one of the following fields is required: education, psychology, sociology.
- A minimum of one (1) year of professional experience in programme planning, management, and/or research in education is required. Experience in the education sector on issues related to education in emergencies, education sensitive to conflict. Preferably with knowledge or experience in migration or forced displacement issues. Extensive knowledge of the public sector in education at the national level and preferably at the territorial level.
- Experience working in a developing country is considered as an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
About the Organization: UNICEF is out to change the world for children vaccination by vaccination, blanket by blanket, biscuit by biscuit, book by book. In most of America, these things are considered completely ordinary. But in many parts of the developing world, they can save a child’s life. UNICEF is unique among world organizations and unique among those working with young people. As a global movement, we use our authority to influence decision makers and diverse partners to turn the most innovative ideas into reality. In 155 countries and territories, UNICEF’s field staff uses hard-won expertise to meet the challenges facing children and those who care for them. Our history has given us a profound understanding of development and the importance of child health, education, equality and protection in advancing humanity. All that we do helps children realize their full potential. In support of UNICEF’s work, the U.S. Fund for UNICEF focuses on five major priorities: education, emergencies, HIV/AIDS, immunization and malnutrition. https://www.unicef.org/