Education Officer at UNICEF [Niger] [October 22, 2019]
Apply by: October 22, 2019
Description: Under the direction and general supervision of the Chief of the Zone Office at Diffa and under the technical guidance of the Head of the Education Program, the Administrator will support the development and preparation of Education Programs (or a Training Sector). ‘Education). He / she will be responsible for managing, implementing, monitoring, evaluating and reporting on the progress of the UNICEF country program’s educational activities in the Diffa region, with emphasis on the social profitability of the program. Quality education and equity. The specialist will provide technical advice and management support throughout the programming process to facilitate administration and results for Education Programs / Projects; to improve learning outcomes and promote equitable and inclusive education,
The Administrator will contribute to the achievement of results in accordance with the results-based plans, allocation, approaches and results-based management methodology, as well as the strategic plans, performance standards and accountability framework. UNICEF.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Support for program development and planning
- Support the preparation, design and updating of the situation analysis of Education Programs, including Education in Emergencies, so that comprehensive and up-to-date data on the issues of education are available to guide UNICEF’s efforts in strategic policy, advocacy, interventions and curriculum development.
- Assist the supervisor in defining priorities, strategies, and design and implementation plans. Keep abreast of development trends to improve program management, effectiveness and delivery.
- Participate in strategic discussions on planning educational programs. Formulate, design and prepare program proposals for the sector, ensuring alignment with all UNICEF strategic and country plans, and coherence / integration with the UNDAF United Nations Development Assistance (UNDAF), regional strategies and national priorities, competencies and plans.
- Define sector-specific goals, objectives, strategies and implementation plans using the terminology and methodology of results-based planning. Prepare the documentation required for program review and approval.
- Work closely with colleagues and internal partners to review strategies and methodologies and determine national priorities to ensure concrete and sustainable results.
- Provide technical and operational support at all stages of the programming process and ensure the integration, coherence and harmonization of Programs / Projects with other sectors of UNICEF and the achievement of planned and assigned results.
- Program Management, Monitoring and Achievement
- Plan and collaborate with internal colleagues as well as external partners to establish monitoring indicators, performance indicators and other indicators of the UNICEF / United Nations system to assess / strengthen accountability for performance, coherence and achieving concrete and sustainable results in the assigned area of Education Programs.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, program reviews and annual reviews with government officials and other stakeholders to assess progress and determine actions / interventions required to achieve results.
- Prepare and evaluate monitoring and evaluation reports to identify gaps, strengths and weaknesses in program management.
- Identify lessons learned and use knowledge gained for development planning and early intervention to achieve goals.
- Undertake close monitoring of Programs / Projects through field visits, surveys and exchange of information with stakeholders to assess progress, identify bottlenecks and potential problems and take action timely decisions in order to resolve these problems and / or bring them to the attention of the relevant officials with a view to their early resolution.
- Monitor and verify the optimal and appropriate use of Sector Programs resources (financial, administrative and other assets) in order to ensure compliance with the organization’s rules, regulations and procedures, commitments, standards of responsibility and donor integrity, while ensuring the timely reporting and liquidation of resources.
- Prepare periodic reports as well as reports required on Programs, including Situation Reports (SitRep) in time for the intention of management, donors and partners to keep them informed of the progress of the Program.
- Technical and operational support for the implementation of programs
- Provide technical advice and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN System Partners and Country Office Partners and Donors on the interpretation, application and understanding of policies, UNICEF strategies, processes, best practices and approaches to education and related issues to support program management, implementation and results.
- Organize / coordinate the availability of technical experts with the regional office / headquarters to ensure timely and appropriate support throughout the programming process.
- Participate in education program meetings, including program development and contingency planning, to provide technical and operational information, advice and assistance.
- Develop guidance material, briefs and other strategic program materials for
- Networking and partnerships
- Establish and maintain close and effective working partnerships with relevant government interlocutors, national stakeholders, global partners, donors and academics through active networking, advocacy and communication effective to build capacity, exchange knowledge and skills, and enhance cooperation to achieve sustainable and far-reaching results for educational programs.
- Prepare communication and advocacy materials for advocacy for country office programs to promote awareness, build partnerships and support fundraising for education programs.
- Participate and / or represent UNICEF in appropriate inter-agency discussions on education and related issues to collaborate with partners / colleagues of these institutions on the planning and preparation of Education Programs / Projects within the framework of UNDAF, ensuring that the position, interests and priorities of the organization are fully taken into account and integrated into the UNDAF process, as well as HRP / HNO, in development planning and development. establishment of the program.
- Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Apply and introduce innovative approaches and good capacity-building practices of partners and stakeholders; and support the implementation of programs and the achievement of concrete and sustainable results.
- Stay informed, research, compare and implement best practices in educational management. Evaluate, institutionalize and share best practices and knowledge gained.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure the effectiveness and efficiency of sustainable programs and projects.
- Organize and implement capacity-building initiatives to improve client/stakeholder skills and thereby promote sustainable learning outcomes and related programs/projects.
Required Eligibility and Experience:
- Open to Zambian and EU applicants
- Education:A Master’s degree, preferably in education, international development, public policy, or a related field
- At least seven years of relevant work experience, preferably working to strengthen government systems and structures
- At least three years of experience working in a developing country
- At least three years of demonstrated leadership and management experience, including management, coaching and mentoring of staff
- At least two years of experience in a position working closely with external stakeholders, preferably with multiple partners
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results in bureaucratic environments
- Experience managing budgets
About the Organization: UNICEF works in over 190 countries and territories to save children’s lives, to defend their rights, and to help them fulfill their potential, from early childhood through adolescence. https://www.unicef.org/