Education Manager at TaRL Africa [Zambia] [October 14, 2019]
Apply by: October 14, 2019
Description: VVOB is looking for an education manager passionate about working with the government to help improve reading and maths outcomes for learners in Zambia.
This role involves working with the Ministry and its partners USAID, UNICEF, J-PAL and Pratham during the scaling process. The Education Manager is responsible for providing technical and managerial direction for the successful implementation of the intervention. He/she must build and maintain effective relationships with all people involved in the intervention, from senior government officials to international partners to VVOB team members. He/she must help all partners to adapt the intervention as implementation lessons are learnt, while maintaining its evidence-based approach.
This position is based at the VVOB office in Zambia, and the jobholder will report to both the VVOB Programme Manager and J-PAL Africa staff. The jobholder will manage a team of VVOB and IPA staff in Zambia. The role involves travel within Zambia, particularly to Eastern Province and Southern Province, as well as infrequent international travel. This position is for 18 months initially with the possibility of extension. This post is open to Zambian and EU applicants.
Role and Responsibilities:
Teaching at the Right Level expertise
- Become an expert on the Teaching at the Right Level methodology and evidence base, by reading the relevant academic papers and learning from the Pratham and J-PAL teams across the world.
- Be an active member of and contributor to the TaRL Africa team which is thinking about how to adapt the TaRL approach to multiple settings across the continent, including thinking creatively and sharing lessons about adapting the TaRL approach such that it can accelerate children’s learning at scale.
- Work with policymakers and partners in country to build their understanding of Teaching at the Right Level, to help them think about how the global evidence can be adapted to Zambia so that the programme remains effective as it scales.
- Guide the implementation of the training, coaching, and monitoring systems being used in the intervention, and work with all partners to adapt and improve these so that they effectively support the classroom methodology.
Technical project management
- Responsible for project management. Take responsibility for achieving the goals of the programme.
- Manage the VVOB and IPA Catch Up team in Zambia that supports the government, and collaborate closely with the TaRL Africa central team that is based in countries all over the world.
- Develop a team capacity strengthening strategy to increase expertise around data and project management, institutional capacity development and programme sustainability.
- Maintain critical relationships with government and other partners, and ensure the work of the Ministry of General
- Education and other partners on the programme is coordinated.
- Provide support to the Ministry of General Education to create a scale up strategy to expand the intervention in new provinces and determine the support needed in the existing provinces.
- Develop a technical assistance plan to strengthen government systems to accelerate the embedding process of the Catch Up intervention in the Ministry’s structures.
- Provide strategic direction to the Sustainability Manager and the Ministry of General Education to design a sustainability strategy for the intervention.
- Track and manage the VVOB project budget and work with the finance team to submit regular financial reports to funders.
- Identify new funding opportunities and write proposals for the intervention in collaboration with the VVOB Programme Manager and TaRL Africa team.
- Report on progress of the Catch Up project to the TaRL Africa team and to external partners such as USAID.
Understand the local context
- Understand the education sector in Zambia, including key partners, and make sure that the programme is coordinated with other actors and interventions.
Required Eligibility and Experience:
- Open to Zambian and EU applicants
- Education:A Master’s degree, preferably in education, international development, public policy, or a related field
- At least seven years of relevant work experience, preferably working to strengthen government systems and structures
- At least three years of experience working in a developing country
- At least three years of demonstrated leadership and management experience, including management, coaching and mentoring of staff
- At least two years of experience in a position working closely with external stakeholders, preferably with multiple partners
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results in bureaucratic environments
- Experience managing budgets
About the Organization: Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) is an evidence-backed educational approach that helps children develop basic reading and mathematics skills, opening doors to a brighter future. Scroll down to learn more about TaRL or use the menu above to explore. https://www.teachingattherightlevel.org/