Early Childhood Education Educator Assistant at Norwegian Refugee Council [Lebanon] [July 14, 2019]
Location: South (Nabteyieh-Tyre-BentJbeil), Lebanon
Apply by: July 14, 2019
Description: The ECE educator assistant will be working with ECE educators on the provision of education to refugee children out of school or at risk of dropping out from the formal education system. NRC is addressing the specific needs of those children who are unable – or not ready – to access formal education by providing them with quality education and skills as well as by adequately preparing them to enroll and retain at their correct level in relevant formal schools.
NRC non-formal education programs include:
Early Childhood Education (ages 4 – 6) classes;
Basic Literacy and Numeracy (ages 10 – 14) classes;
Remedial/Homework Support (ages 6- 15) classes;
The different programs will follow the unified curriculum, and Standard Operating Procedures developed by the Lebanese Ministry of Education and Higher Education (MEHE), when applicable, enriched by NRC mainstreamed classroom-based psychosocial and life skills activities.
NRC is setting up learning centers near where refugee communities are:
Within relevant camps or ITS (Informal Tent Settlement)
In community-based learning centers
In public schools when approved by MEHE
The ECE Educator Assistant will be assisting in the overall delivery of the program in a safe, child-friendly environment, upholding the standards of the NRC’s Code of Conduct, while ensuring full inclusion and protection of the vulnerable children as a key responsibility of this role and following NRC’s Protection Policy. The position holder will work in close connection with NRC’s Education Assistants (EAs), Education Officers (EOs), and Education Technical Officers (ETOs), and will receive a preservice training on topics specific to the context. This will also include regular mentoring and observation visits from EOs and other NRC related staff.
Role and Responsibility:
- With the ECE Educator, help in providing effective teaching and facilitation to refugees and vulnerable host community children by employing a variety of methodologies in teaching students, including demonstrations, discussions, and lectures.
- Help in teaching basic academic skills, including alphabet, letter recognition, numbers, and others in Arabic and English or French (reading and writing).
- Participate in crafting tools and materials for the classroom, the daily activity, the center, and events when it occurs.
- Attend and actively participate in all training held by NRC Lebanon, which is mandatory for all educators. If any pieces of training are missed due to unforeseen reasons, the educator assistant must request the direct supervisor for make-up training.
- With the Educator, Implement and follow NRC ECE standard curriculum and enrich content where appropriate, including the production and dissemination of teaching handouts and activities sheets
- Maintain a child-friendly and safe teaching/learning environment in the classroom while adopting a holistic approach to teaching (physical, emotional, and intellectual wellbeing)
- Use positive discipline in the classroom
- With the Educator, assess children’s learning achievement with pre, post and periodic assessments during the cycle
- Attend educator meetings as requested by NRC relevant staff, participate in Teacher Learning Circles, develop extra material during workshops and adapt them to the need of the students, etc. in direct coordination with all relevant NRC Education Team to ensure and maintain a high-quality delivery learning environment
- To identify and work with students with special needs in the classroom.
- Utilize and protect the educational equipment, such as materials, books, games and other learning aid provided by NRC
- Supervise the students upon arrival and departure and between sessions
- Help educators and bus aids in lining up students while coming and leaving the center.
- Lead in dropping students off when the bus aid is absent.
- Carry out related mainstreaming of protection in program daily implementation as per the set NRC’s Protection mainstreaming guidelines, and ensures reporting any breaches/concerns to the line manager for proper action.
Required Eligibility and Experience:
- University degree in preschool education, TS in preschool education or any related field; a Teaching Diploma is a plus
- 1 to 2 years working experience in education or teaching (either at Primary or ECE/KG level) is a plus
- Honesty and trustworthiness, and responsive to constructive feedback and advice
- Ability to work systematically and organized manner
- Ability to listen actively, understand, communicate effectively, and discuss with supervisors and parents on children’s learning problems and psychosocial requirements
- Ability to respect and maintain confidentiality
- Fluent in Arabic, both spoken and written; French or English required according to the subject matter and area of operation
About the organization: The Norwegian Refugee Council is an independent humanitarian organization helping people forced to flee. We work in crises in 31 countries, where we help save lives and rebuild futures. https://www.nrc.no/